Like a newborn, a piece of art doesn’t come with instructions for its care and handling. Yet understanding the logistics of art ownership is crucial to maintaining the art object’s long-term aesthetic and financial value. This course will cover five main components of collections care:
- Collections Management
- Loss Prevention and Risk Management
- Installation and Conservation
- Packing and Shipping
First, we will discuss the fundamentals of tracking and organizing your collection and all of the accompanying paperwork, which is important to archive for insurance, appraisal and tax scenarios. Then we move on the understanding the coverages and exclusions of art insurance policies. Approaching your collection with a mindset of loss prevention- when buying, selling, moving and installing art, is critical to reducing the possibility of physical damage to your work. Proper installation, packing and shipping, and even pro-active consultation with a conservator are crucial components of loss prevention as well.
This course will be delivered seminar-style online in our virtual classroom via Zoom. All participants will receive login details on how to access the course before it commences.
What you will learn
• The fundamentals of tracking and organizing your collection and all of the accompanying paperwork
• The coverages and exclusions of art insurance policies
• How to approach your collection with a mindset of loss prevention